Friday, September 30, 2011

September 27... a memorable day

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hi Everyone,

So.... today I got a call from the Zone Leaders and Elder Scoresby told me that I needed to pack my bags because I was leaving Chula Vista, but he told me to go to the normal transfer meeting, not the Battalion transfer meeting... so it's possible that I'm going to another area and not to the Battalion. I'm really sad, and excited... but at the moment mostly sad, because I really love Chula Vista, the members, investigators, the less actives. They all have a piece of my heart and I'm leaving it behind tomorrow. I think it's really good that I got a little bit of warning because if I hadn't been thinking I was leaving and then it was thrown on me, then I would be devastated right now, but the Lord knew it so he prepared me a bit. I'll let you know where I am going next week because I won't find that out until tomorrow.

But! This last week was really good! Rigo and Ivan's house has been a gold mine. I never thought I would experience something like this as an English speaking missionary, but this house just keeps giving. I feel like every time we go into the house we add another investigator, and somebody else wants to listen to us and to learn more. It's been so COOL. Rigo is really funny.  He bought us ice cream the other day, he still plays video games, and he's on a semi pro soccer team.

I said goodbye to Miranda - she is on her mission as of tomorrow =) Colorado Denver Spanish speaking. She spent days with us just doing missionary work. We're good friends, we'll be letter buddies ha ha.

Also, yesterday we met one of the neatest people I've ever met. A coach, and Olympian of speed walking from Columbia. About half of the conversation was in Spanish. =) Woohoo!! He was fascinating though. He goes to Eastlake and has a belief in Christ and invited us back any time. His name is Enrique.

My favorite experience of the week: Lois. Yes, like the person from Superman. We met her while eating at Panda Express. We just starting up a conversation with her about college and we got to the topic of religion (how convenient =) ) and she thought that we didn't believe that Jesus Christ was our Savior and Redeemer. We talked to her, and testified and showed her that we loved her, but more importantly that her Savior loves her. She cried and smiled and we set a return appointment. She said I remind her of her niece. We were able to meet with her again yesterday and she knows that we were supposed to find her in Panda Express and she knows that we can help her. She is so special to me. I put her in Sister Crokers capable hands to baptize. We had a connection and the Spirit  there was really strong.  It was a really incredible experience, and I realized I needed to be in Chula Vista for 7 months so that I could find her in the last week of my transfer. She kept looking at me and smiling. It was I think the best experience so far of my mission. Especially because at the end of a kind of lame day, she called us and wanted to see us, and hear from us.

Funny story: The Elders were, in district meeting, comparing their names and asking the district who has a better name. Merril, or Whitrod. MERRIL or Whitrod. And then elder Whitrod pipes in with "WHIT ROD" ahaha, typing doesn't do it justice. Then Elder Scoresby came in with "Scoresby" which somehow led to how Hispanics can't pronounce his name and the conversation goes something like this "Escor... Escor..." "Scoresby" "aaaaah! Escoresby!" Way funny.

Funny story 2: We exploded a glass bottle. You probably think I'm joking but I'm not. Heh. We were practicing for an object lesson with eggs about baptism by fire, where the suction of the egg and fire sucks the egg into a glass bottle but we didn't have any rubbing alcohol. So we decided to use hairspray. HAHAHA. Hairspray definitely gets the fire part going. The fire exploded about a foot out of the bottle and I was like "put the egg on it! put the egg on it!" and Sister Croker (who is a bit more sensible) just started blowing on it to put it out. So like the intelligent Sister missionaries we are, we decided to try it again... (yes that was my idea) and this time we tried to get a picture! So we put less hair spray in, lit it, it exploded WHOOSH and then I put the egg on the top and PLOMP it like shot to the bottom of the bottle. HAHAHA. It was awesome. I'd totally do it again but its too intense to do with investigators so we're going to get some rubbing alcohol.

So that's pretty much how life is going right now. Funnier every day, things are happening... and I'm getting transferred. So my life is going to be completely different come next week. I'll let you know how it goes. I know that I'll go where the Lord needs me.

I love you all. You are my favorite people in the world!

Love,

Sister Tardiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment