Saturday, September 17, 2011

A life without....electricity!


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Heya Everyone,

It’s me... the used to be homeless, leased out Battalion, trying to learn Spanish missionary that's in San Diego. Remember me? =) Yep! I'm here! And I survived the blackout! Woohoo!! Actually the blackout was the best day of my mission probably. Everyone was home and could anyone be busy? Nope, there was no electricity = no gas pumps working, no TV and no distractions. It was the best thing ever except for the fact that the stop lights were out. That was kind of scary but fortunately we obviously survived so that I can tell the tale. =) That day we were also on semi exchanges. We had another Sister who just joined us for the day. I learned so much from her. She is an extraordinary missionary. I love being with other missionaries because I can learn from each and every one of them. Anyway, the black out was awesome! We got to eat some good cake, talk to EVERYONE and then the moment we drove up to our house, BLING the lights came back on so we could have dinner. =) The Lord takes care of his missionaries.

We had MTE again with President Clayton and it was really good. We talked about obedience and about member work. Working with members is fun. It’s been really good for me to be able to have time to focus on both investigators, potentials AND members because they are all important. I love the quote in Preach My Gospel by Hinckley that says that everyone involved in missionary work knows that there is a better way than tracting - and that way is through members. When members become the source through whom we find the majority of our investigators the work progresses faster. It’s been fun to meet a lot of the members of the ward and challenge them and promise them blessings. I'm excited for what will happen in approximately 90 days. =)

The longer I've been here in Chula Vista the more I've realized just how lucky I am. I've been lucky for my whole life. This ward is an amazing example of how a ward should work, with families that are super functional, happy, and involved in the Gospel and missionary work. It’s just been a huge blessing to see the example of so many people now that I'm looking for it. I imagine the same is true for the missionaries serving in the Weston Ward. There are just so many amazing families and amazing examples. Just by being who you are, mom and dad, you're teaching the missionaries more than you can possibly imagine. I came here to serve other people and more I'm here the more it really seems to be that other people are serving me, temporally or by their example.

Here is something that you will think is funny: Sister Croker thinks I'm organized. Hahahaha. =) I have been improving slowly in that particular area of my life you'll be happy to know, so it’s not entirely that she's confused, ha-ha.

This week was a lot better. The work has progressed rapidly. =) A lot of really awesome things have happened, including getting a less active a friend who's had situations very similar to Sam's. The less active kind of reminds me of you dad, except for obviously the fact that you have always been active.  He has a mustache and he loves the Gospel so much. It’s just that he's gotten out of the habit of going. I have an outpouring of love for him. I pray all the time that he and his family will go back to Church.

We got to go to a Mission President’s fireside. =)

OH and I taught a lesson over candlelight while the power was out! How COOL is that? I felt like I was back in Joseph Smith's time and it was hard to read the scriptures but it was awesome. Seriously, I'll take a black out any time.

That was pretty much my week. We lost our phone unfortunately. We think we left it on a table somewhere. It’s making missionary work a bit slower but we keep moving forward until we get ourselves a new phone or find it. I'd prefer finding it.

I love you all so much! Keep up the good work!!

~Sister Tardiff

PS - We found our phone! Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment