Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A week in the life

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

HEYY Everyone,

Sooo....

This week was CRAZY. On Saturday it was Mormon Battalion day which
means that we didn't have any time in our area at all and I was in a
pioneer dress ALL day. We had over 1000 visitors at the Battalion! It
was so fun but so tiring! At the end of the day I had only taken four
tours and the moment I hit my pillow (early I might add) I was
asleep. Whoosh. But! Mormon Battalion day went as follows; we all met
down at Old Town Square in our pioneer gear, really ugly bonnets
included, some of the Elders from the San Diego Zone dressed up as
battalion soldiers, and at 10am we marched in a parade. =) Then Sister
Tanner and I went up to the Battalion and organized the mass
chaos there. We directed people to the theaters and made sure
there was no noise coming from the lobby. It was awesome. I came back
later and was confused about what was going on and Elder Brenchley
(senior couple) teased me since I'd been the "mastermind" earlier that
day. It was awesome though! We also had some time to go down to the
square and direct people up to the Battalion and see all the stations.
It was great. =) My favorite tour though was the one where a guy that
we found down in the square, came up and took the tour with us, and
then referred. He was so awesome and he has two little adorable kids! The Elders in El Cajon are going to be teaching him.

Yesterday I took the cutest Chinese couple through the tour too! I had
to leave half way through to get my cleaning checks done (which we
passed with flying colors I might add =D) But I came back and they
both referred. One of them touched his heart and said that the tour
had "shaken his heart" and he wants to learn more. He lives in
mainland but about an hour and a half away from Hong Kong so we gave
him the address to the nearest church building and he said they would
go, along with a Chinese Book of Mormon. They were so ready and so cute!
They'll get baptized. At the end of the tour they wished us a happy
New Year and they told me that I was born in the year of the dragon.
They were so excited! It means powerful! So when they left they said
goodbye "To the little dragon" It was so cute.

We debugged our apartment too yesterday. I accidentally inhaled some of
the "fogger" stuff but I survived! It was an adventure! We're
almost done hand washing every single one of our dishes, ha-ha and we
found four dead spiders already! Woohoo!

One of the recent converts in our ward might be married... we're kind
of confused about that.

We were able to teach a super cute Venezuelan girl, Kali, the other
day. Her eyes were shining as we taught her about the Book of Mormon.
She told us that she would read the book. I'm excited for her. She is
really cute, and hopefully ready. There is a bit of a language barrier
so we might hand her off to the Spanish sisters, which seems to be a
pattern in this area; find ready people, give them to other
missionaries. =)

I went on exchanges with Sister Kearsley and got to teach her
investigator with a baptismal date. It was so awesome. Her name is Maria and
she just knows what's right. She's also the most normal almost convert
I've ever met. She's 21, has 2 children and is getting married to her
boyfriend in about a week and is excited for baptism. She's great! I
hope I can go to her baptism. Being with Sister Kearsley again was -
the best thing that could have happened to me this week. I was able to
see how much we've both progressed, changed, and just - I'm having a
really hard time putting it in words but I just really hope that we
can be companions again someday. She's amazing.

We started a dinner calendar, and you were right, they feed us well when we let them feed us. We had the MOST delicious meal I've had in my mission - in a
singles ward! They fed us ribs, home made mashed/cheesy potatoes, home
made bread, sparkling limeade and lemonade, and cobbler with gelato
ice cream. I was in heaven and they invited a non member over to dinner and
we ended up teaching a short lesson. I love this ward.

Yesterday one of the recent converts, Hugh, looked at me and told me
he had a feeling that I was leaving soon, which is crazy because he
had no idea that transfers are tomorrow. So I really don't know what's
happening. I might leave, I might stay. I'm not sure what I'd prefer.
I might be ready for a change... but I'd miss the ward.

Soo! That was a snap shot of my week. It was really interesting,
really good, really filled with work at the Battalion, and awesome!

I hope you all had a good week as well! I'm glad there hasn't been
very much snow and that people are doing well.

Also transfers are tomorrow. *gasp* It is so weird. I love the
members of the La Jolla Ward. I feel like I'm finally connecting with
them which means the work should progress a lot faster, but we'll see
what transfer brings.

Read Alma 48: 17-19. I love it!

I love you all!!

Love,

Sister Tardiff


No comments:

Post a Comment