Tuesday, October 18, 2011

On the road again!


Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Greetings!

So today it’s approximately 10:30 AM and ALREADY we've been on a hike! We got special permission and everything so we woke up at 4:40 in the morning (GAG) but it was totally worth it! We took some really beautiful pictures of the sunrise on top of Mount Cowles. It’s a really short hike, only a mile and a half or so to the top, but it was really awesome. I've been wanting to go on a legit hike for my entire mission and we finally got to do it! Almost all of the Battalion sisters came so we had 20 girls and then the three Assistants to the President on this trail. People probably thought we were a sports team or something ha-ha. My camera was left at home though so I'll have to send you pictures later. It’s really cloudy right now/smoggy? But that made the pictures even cooler because the sun came up and it looked like we were floating on clouds. =) It has been the best start of the day ever and later tonight we might be in a real good place to take a nap. =)

But! That's not the most important thing that happened this past week. The most important thing was definitely teaching Anna. She, seriously, is the most prepared person I've ever met in my entire life. She is a referral from the Mormon Battalion! We taught her the word of wisdom and Anna is from Beijing which has a lot of tea, obviously. She expressed concern about it, but when we explained it, and the blessings that came from it, she told us she got it, and even though culturally she would still be asked to prepare tea she would use self control and not drink any of it. I really felt like I was on a Preach My Gospel video. Every time we teach her I feel rejuvenated and refreshed and just so Spirit driven. I pray to meet more people like her every day.

Also, I went to my first luau ever! (I think) The ward put it on as a ward activity and we had two investigators come and the ward is INCREDIBLE. I think that there were probably 20 non member friends that came to the luau and hopefully will keep coming to activities. It’s like a missionaries dream come true. We were able to get to know a lot of the ward members AND their friends. Woohooo!! I love this ward so much! I love teaching and being with people my own age as well. It has been an amazing experience and I know the Lord has been blessing us so much with the people we are able to teach and with the members we've been able to meet. He is truly rewarding us for our intents and efforts.

We met two really amazing new investigators this week. One’s name is Laura and the other is Liz. They aren't related at all but they are way cool. Laura has a lot of Mormon friends and she is so prepared as well and Liz has had Mormon friends and she's just willing to learn. I love this area so much! I don't think words can adequately describe it. I got a call from Sis Pelfrey yesterday and she gave me updates on Chula Vista and I still have this overwhelming love for Chula Vista and for the members and people that I've met, but my heart, I can safely say, is centered on La Jolla Singles. It was a huge answer to prayers.

We realized that we don't have that many potentials/formers to work with so we also tried this new technique of being creepers that talk to people at bus stops hahahaha. We only tried it yesterday but it was a good trial run, and through practice I think its going to bring miracles. The Lord will set people in our paths that will be prepared and willing to learn, especially with the Temple in the background. I'll keep you updated on that street contacting technique.

Sister Stevens is another answer to prayers. She is awesome!! She's so happy. We make a really good companionship if I do say so myself. =) Already I've learned a lot from her. I've been thinking recently of how many companions I have had, and initially I was looking at it through others eyes, perhaps thinking that I'm hard to get along with etc., but I've realized now, that it’s again Heavenly Father answering my prayers. I've asked him from the very beginning to help me to become the best missionary I can be, and by being with so many different companions and Sisters I'm able to learn and adapt and develop strengths that they have into my own life. Someone at the MTC once told me, that by the end of the mission (if you've done it right) you will be the culmination of all the positive traits that your companions have had. Apparently I've needed a lot more positive traits =P but I'm so, so, so grateful for this opportunity to learn from so many Sisters. It’s a huge blessing.

So we just keep rolling, and having fun, laughing and sharing the Gospel. Life is good! =)

Do you have any funny stories? Do you need any hand written letters from me? Do you have fun plans for Halloween?

I sure love you, each one of you individually. I pray for you often. =)

Love you!!!

~ Sister Tardiff

No comments:

Post a Comment