Monday, February 21, 2011

Second Week at MTC

Hey Familia!

So this week was kind of different then any other normal week a missionary could have, based on the fact that I got to call mom (my grandfather died) and have an extra e-mail time on Thursday - or was it Friday... I'm not really sure, but either way it was different. I struggled a bit for the next two days after, because I wanted to hear from home and make sure that everything was going alright, and it really affected how I served. I still worked hard because that was my goal - to work hard for my entire mission. But the enthusiasm and excitement, the love for teaching wasn't there any more. Too much time thinking about myself I guess. On Sunday I was doing my personal study and I came across a section in preach my gospel called Christlike attributes. One of them was "diligence" the definition of diligence is to work hard, and work enthusiastically. It was really the answer to my prayers. I have a new goal now, to be a diligent missionary for the entirety of my mission. =)

Thank you to everyone who wrote me letters and know that I'm working on getting back to them, but it might be this week or next week. =) I promise I'll respond to every letter I get. =)

We had two pretty late nights in a row. It was necessary (not like we stayed up just talking cuz we wanted to giggle) but we were all dead tired the next day. It's really good to know that all of us have the support of each other. I'm lucky I get to spend my whole mission with these girls/sisters.

Other than that the MTC is going great! I don't do any phones... I don't know if I will next week. This first three weeks are just regular English missionary proselyting weeks, and then the fourth week I'm here is when I start doing VC/ HS work. So I'm actually pretty psyched for that! There are going to be tons of girls and we're all going to be doing the same thing! AND I get to learn history. It's the best thing every. There is a lot of role playing. Like a lot. I love being an investigator cuz I love getting into the role and seeing what would be confusing to new people learning. I also learn a lot from being taught by other missionaries. Some people are so dang smart!! I have a lot to learn still, and I need to be BOLD. Since when was I shy? I'm not really sure... but it's sure playing out here.

So funny story - two actually, and they were both yesterday. My comp and I were teaching an investigator at the TRC and she said that her husband has left her... I had death on the mind because of my grandfather... and so I thought that meant her husband had died.... whoops. I acted like that for literally HALF the lesson, until she corrected me and told me that her husband had divorced her. Hahaha.... I'm such an awkward turtle.

The other funny story is that I ran into an MTC teacher who looked a lot like one of my friends from Liberty Square. He came up and talked to me and my comp and finally I told him how familiar he looked. "You look a lot like one of my friends" I said. He looked at me with this really odd look on his face and said "Steph - I AM one of your friends" HA! Yeah, I laughed about that for a while. He just looked different... and married... I guess I look through different lenses as a missionary?? Just kidding! But yeah it was Nate Miller.

My district is the bomb. We played basketball last week in gym, 3 v 3 and I love it! I've been playing basketball a lot actually. Some of my skills are coming back as in I can actually shoot somewhat decently again. Pretty exciting. Also, Sister Nelson and I have started going to the early morning gym classes and that has been SO good. Today we did ZUMBA, which is a type of dancing to music. So fun. I'm totally going to do that when I get home. Working out in the morning is a blessing. It gets me so hyped up for the day, and ready to learn. Life is good =)

All the firesides and devotionals are great! Sunday is just like any other day, except we don't have class; we just have study time ALL day except for meetings and sacrament and temple walk! WOOOOOOOO for being in the outside world. That's also when we take pictures. We have some funny ones of us sisters trying to get out behind fences, and others of the Elders clicking heels, and one of all our name tags. We're a good group. I love it. All the Elders are leaving on Monday/ Wednesday. It'll be weird to have them leave, and us stay, but cool that they get to go out in the field! I'm ready!

Speaking of which... I'm falling in love with San Diego. Have I ever been there? Nope! Do I now really, really, really want to be there? Definitely! I can't wait!

Teri could you ask where Susie is and why haven't I seen her in the cafeteria? It is always fun to see Melissa, and Brother Moss, and Jimmy (Brother Taylor), and all the other random people I know.  Elise how many dino's have you found? =) (I told you I'd put your names in here randomly =))

On Wednesday night, I had the best night at the MTC. It was really, really incredible. We split up two districts and each companionship was going to teach another companionship in another district. We got paired with another threesome of sisters. Their job was to bear their testimony about the atonement. It was powerful. It was amazing. I don't think I've ever been in a room when the Spirit was that strong. So when our turn started, we were teaching with the help, and love of the Spirit. It was really... I don't know; there are no words to describe it except that I want that for every teaching experience I ever have, ever.

It's crazy. I'm a baby missionary (only two weeks old) but I know that this is the right place for me. I know this is where I'm meant to be. I know that this church is true. And I know (already... weird huh?) that this mission is going to be one of the greatest blessings in my life.

My branch counselor? I don't know if that made sense, but he told me something that really helped me. He told me that there are going to be ups and downs, but we need to make sure that we just keep moving linearly up. So that our downs in the future, are higher than our present ups; another goal that I now have. Let me know if that didn't make sense and I'll try to explain it better.

I love you all. I wish I could be there at the funeral. Know that my love is there, and that I love all of you so much. I have a testimony and I have a lot of the Savior. I truly think about all of you and keep you in my prayers. You are amazing examples to me, amazing siblings and parents. I really, really love you! I wish I could write more but my time is up. You'll all get letters. =)

Love you!

Sister Tardiff

No comments:

Post a Comment