Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The life of a missionary 3 weeks into the MTC...

So this week was pretty much a blast. I'll catch you up super fast because I only have 24 minutes!!! AHHH! I tried to attach pictures but my access was denied...lame... I guess I'll have to print 'em out and send them home so you can all see my wonderful self and my amazing spectacular district. =) And Utah... and the MTC... and just funny things that happen.

We had a devotional last Tuesday that was amazing! It was by Brother Pearson and he gave a really motivational talk about how to become a disciple of Christ. =) 100 % obedience baby... all the way! Because we already have the authority, and we are promised power once with obedience and personal righteousness. It was the most motivational thing I think I've ever listened to in my entire life. It definitely helped me improve.

Running up and down stairs definitely gives me happiness. Don't look at me like that! Running up and down stairs is the epitome of good exercise AND not being bored! We've continued going to the 6 am classes... except I tend to run or run up and down stairs instead of the class. I guess yoga and step aerobics are not my thing? HOWEVER! Then in gym I get to play around! Like playing basketball! YEAH!! I LOVE basketball! Yesterday I won a game of knock out and the elder didn't even let me win. I mean... we aren't competitive here at the MTC... not at all .=P Also playing 3 v 3 is way fun. I enjoy my gym time quite a bit... maybe that's why I bring it up in every email.... =)

My district is leaving me!!! Off to North Carolina they go! And Houston tomorrow! We sang "God be With you Till we Meet Again" in sacrament meeting before they left. They're some of my favorite people. The funny thing is that when I first got to the MTC our coordinating sister told us we'd become best friends with our district. I walked into the classroom, looked around and thought "no way, not gonna happen." Surprise! I love them all! I'm so impressed with them and how diligent and hardworking they are. I have learned  a lot from every single one of them. So some funny stories from before they left. Elder Brewer got some tomato sauce on his white shirt and started going crazy, in a funny way. So Sister Nelson poured water on him hahaha. It was funny. I feel like a lot of my stories are stories where you had to be there. Another funny time was watching the movie Legacy with a room full of 19 year old boys who have just sworn off girls for 2 years. So the main characters kiss and everyone hides their eyes and go "ewwww." I'm so excited to go out in the field! Since all of them are leaving we got the same pep talk about finding people and how people are waiting to hear the gospel from us and I'm ready for that! But I bet that the people I'm supposed to be teaching will wait a week... if not, Heavenly Father would have sent me a week earlier.

15 minutes!!

So we are leaving for the airport at 4 in the morning and leaving on a jet plane at 7:05 with a layover in Las Vegas. I don't know if I'll be able to call because there are 12 people in my traveling group and not a very long lay over. I'll do my best through. It'll probably be between 6 am and 6:30 my time in the morning.

Sorry this email is so random. I'm trying to cram a lot into one. OH! But I have pday on Friday so if I miss anything then I'll fill you all in there.


We had a music fireside on Sunday. They had us stand up for the final chorus of "Called To Serve" and I thought we were going to die. There were like hundreds of us in the bleachers and we all stood up at the same time. It definitely rocked the boat and creaked a bit. That would have been an interesting and mildly comical way to die. =)

At the MTC this is honestly one of the happiest I've been in my entire life. I've told some people this via letter but I feel like I've waited my entire life for this mission, even though I didn't realize it, and now that I'm finally here I'm just... so happy. So full of joy... so ready. I love the doctrine. I love doctrinal questions and getting to know the scriptures better. I love having time to study and being able to teach people, and help people. I love randomly asking people to bear me their testimony. I love the tender mercies that I've had here every single day. I just love it. Love it and am so excited to be here and serving the Lord. I'm also so glad I'm English speaking. The longer I'm here the more I realize how special it is to be able to teach, right off the bat in a language you are fluent in. I can show my personality. I can make jokes, I can use whatever words I want. It's just really special and a really great opportunity.

One more week!!

Oh doctrinal question! Lets see if you can answer it!

So if Adam and Eve were like children, not knowing good from evil, but they knew that breaking God's commandments was wrong... how does that work?

I've met elders going to Romania, Paraguay and Mexico. Tons of elders going to Mexico.


Oh dangit! I had something I wanted to say and now I forgot....

Uhm.. I had to give a talk in sacrament meeting it was about baptism. Elder Simmons now owes me a letter, a cookie and 10 spiritual acquaintances... whatever that means. =) He's a funny kid. He's one of the ones going to North Carolina.

Hmm... Oh! Our teacher went around giving us attributes. That was a pretty neat experience. The attribute he gave me was powerful... haha and tenacious. I don't really know what that means but I'll take it. =)

Sister Kearsley is amazing. I am really blessed to be her companion.

I'm out of time! More on Friday! Maybe I'll plan out my response better so it isn't so jumbled. The sad part was that I DID plan out my response and it still didn't work. haha

I love you all.

~ Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment