Saturday, February 26, 2011

Second pday in three days!

Hey family!

We went to the Temple and I got to doing sealings. It was really special for me because I just got sealed only two months ago. I paid extra attention to the blessings, and interestingly enough the sealer told us to pay extra attention to the difference between the children and the parent's sealing. It was a really special experience, near to my heart, and I could feel the Spirit strongly, especially with some of the names. I knew that they were so happy to have the work done.

We then had a fireside! It was all about faith. About how faith brings miracles. One of the things that Brother Keaton said that really struck me was that even Nephi, a prophet to God, had his doubts and his sorrows in his sins. He pointed out in 2 Nephi Chapter 4 how Nephi's soul sorrowed but he knew in whom he trusted, and that was his Lord, his God. He told us that he knew that we all seemed strong during the day, but it was at night, when our head touched the pillow, that the feelings came out; of inadequacy, loneliness, sorrow, etc., and when that happens we should turn to Nephi and his example. I thought that was really powerful. For in whom do we trust? Do we trust in man, do we trust in football, or do we trust in God? I know in whom my allegiance is and that is to my God because he has helped me so much in these past few weeks and really throughout my entire life. I know that He loves me.

On Wednesday we started visitor center training (VC training). It was OK. Honestly I like the regular English program better merely because we teach more, and I LOVE TEACHING. However! The VC training has been a learning experience for me as well, and an experience where I've grown a lot more. Throughout the first two days the teachers have really focused on the fact that we aren't any less missionaries just because we are in a VC. They told us that Dallin H. Oaks said in Winter Quarters, that we were picked because of our strong testimonies, that the brethren could see them as they looked at our pictures, and that we were picked carefully. It gave me a great deal of comfort to know that I wasn't placed in a visitor center just because they didn't know where else to place me, and that a visitor center does a great deal of good for missions everywhere. We were called specifically to San Diego, but our mission boundaries could potentially reach the world. I needed that encouragement I think. All the other sisters were so excited to go to VC's, even when they first opened their call, and by the time VC training started I have been getting more and more excited about how inspired my call is, that I know it's where the Lord wants me to go, and that people are being prepared for me personally. The extra encouragement was really nice, and I think important for me. The Church is true. =) Teachers are inspired.

 
Last night we had a mock visitor center experience. That was when I finally got into VC training because we FINALLY got to teach. Holy cow, I didn't realize how much I missed it until I got to do it again. We set up pictures on the wall and had a recording of the Christus. Then we got to take a (mock) investigator through for 20 minutes. I was with a sweet lady named Virginia Beard, and she didn't know whether to be a member or an investigator for most of the time, but I really connected with her, and I knew that she was teaching me even as I was teaching her. I think I'll be a life long learner in the gospel. I learn new things every day! The second person was a girl named Sarah Wood, a returned missionary of about a year and a half who just graduated from BYU. As I got to talking to her I just loved her! Everything she said was inspired! We actually talked, like real people, and I gave her a message from my heart and from the Spirit. It was a really incredible experience. At the end I thanked her, because she taught me a lot about something I'd been struggling with, and she told me that she had almost not come tonight, but that she was really glad that she had, and that I had asked her inspired questions that had really helped her. I can't wait to get to San Diego! I'm so excited that I get to help everyone! Member, non member, less active! I'm excited to teach and to learn and to bring the Savior's love to the world!

The Temple today was really good too. =) I was feeling a bit grouchy, even though I got to run stairs for 30 minutes this morning. I don't know what was wrong with me *grins* but I went to the Temple, and I was flooded with peace. The walk to the Temple was good too because it was lightly snowing and it looked like a winter wonderland. But I learned some really important things in the Temple about myself, and about my work, about charity. It was really, really good.

If you want to send Dearelders do it on Monday before 12. Because I leave Tuesday at 4 in the morning! Woohoo!!! Otherwise here's my San Diego Address.

California San Diego Mission
2510 Juan St
San Diego California 92110

I'm so excited to leave the MTC (although I love it here) to go out to the field and get to work! The field is ripe and ready to harvest!

One other thing that I learned that I really loved was that when we are converted we can speak with the tongues of angels. We are all angels. We can all help other people, be their angels when they need something. So be on the lookout - not just for other people, but for those angels in your life. It will be amazing what you find. =) You are all angels in my life.
 
I love you!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment