Tuesday, July 12, 2011

For Real


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hey!

Did you like my funnies? I was just kidding about that being the only e-mail this week. =) Ha-ha. So this past week was good! We got to see the baptism of the Macias family and Mariella was so cute. She told me that if girls would have been allowed to baptize she would have picked me. =) That was heartwarming. This family is so special, so very special and I'm glad that they finally made the decision to be baptized. The Elders did a great job teaching them.

Fourth of July was really fun! We got to have two breakfasts, a lunch, and a party at the Battalion. All the other missionaries had to be in their apartment by 6pm but as a Battalion sister I was able to stay at the Battalion for normal hours and do missionary work. It was great! The party at the Battalion was awesome. We had s'mores in the campfire room and sang patriotic songs and we got to watch the Coronado fireworks from the tower at the Battalion. (Boston fireworks are better but it was still pretty fun.) Honestly though I feel a little bit lonely at parties at the Battalion. I guess I feel like everyone else are such good friends and I'm just kind of acquaintances with all of them. But I know why I'm here, and it’s not to make friends but to be a missionary so it’s all good.

We ate so much yesterday that I think that Sister Burden thought she was going to throw up last night. It was pretty bad.

Something really nice that Sister Burden said late last night (when we were all in bed) "I HAD a really good teacher. Well I mean I have (talking about me) but you're a completely different person from the person that I first met - you're an even better person."

I met some really cool people at the Battalion this week. One of them actually e-mailed me this week named Sandi. She referred for a Book of Mormon and she came with her friend from LA. They agreed that they would go to the LA visitor center which should be awesome. She left and she said "I feel like we've become instant friends." The discussion I had with her and her friend was probably one of the most intense discussions I've had at the Battalion. They really called me out on my beliefs and all I could do was testify and tell them what I know; that I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that it brings me closer to Jesus Christ and knowing his plan for me, that I know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet; and that I know that I have faith and don't need analytical evidence because I have asked God. In turn her friend Ana bore her testimony about the living Christ and that he died for the sinner. It was a really special experience. They thanked me for actually talking to them, because apparently a couple years ago some Sister missionaries tracted into her, found out she reads the Bible, got "sick", and then never came back. They've thought all these years that we're afraid to talk to other people about our beliefs. It was a cool, interesting experience.

Have you met any Jehovah witnesses recently? I met one the other day and they pretty much ran away from us.... *shrugs* I don't think we're THAT scary.

Also I got to meet the president, President Clayton! WOOHOO! He's the coolest person ever! He walked into the room and I was overwhelmed by the love I felt for him, and I knew he felt for me. He came around and shook each of our hands and looked us in the eye and I knew he was giving us a private interview right there. He's a doctor =) and is really smart, enthusiastic and really motivational. I just know that HE is my mission president. I just love my mission; all parts of it. Last night?, maybe Sunday night I called him about organizing Mini Missions for the Youth in San Diego. He was all for it and said that he would talk about it at a regional conference with all the stakes but asked if I would talk to the Chula Stake President to see if we could do a trial run in Chula Vista. I hope that they're game for it. =) I'm willing to put the work  into it to make it happen if they are - even if it doesn't happen till next summer.

Vincent came to church! Woohoo!! The way we got him to church was that right before church started we decided to knock on his door. He opened a crack and in the most enthusiastic voice I could, I said "Hi Vincent! We're here to invite you to church!"  He said "give me a minute" and closed the door. We were wondering if he'd come back but he did! And he came to church! MIRACLE!! Woohoo! Church was way good and we got to teach the young women's lesson. I don't think they're scared of us anymore even though we're "old" Hehehe.


The ward council has started calling us their "private investigators" as a term of endearment. I really truly love this ward. I kind of hope I never leave....

Anyway! That was pretty much my week!

I hope you're all doing BUENO! You should try answering the phone just saying "Bueno." A lot of Hispanics here do it and I've tried it a couple of times and it’s really fun.

I sure do love ya!!

~ Sister Tardiff

No comments:

Post a Comment