Monday, December 5, 2011

Temple Lights

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hey Everyone!

How was Thanksgiving? I got SOO full. I thought I was going to pop the buttons on my pioneer dress. Which is so cool, right? I got to eat Thanksgiving dinner dressed like a protestant pioneer. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity right there and I got to do it! =) Seriously, we were so taken care of on Thanksgiving. The senior institute couple, the Barnes, fed all the "orphans" and they cooked this magnificent meal with turkey and ham (SO good) and yams and real potatoes and we went and ate with them and some stragglers in the ward, and then literally like 30 minutes later we were changed into our pioneer dresses eating Thanksgiving part two put on by the senior couples at the Battalion. My goodness, I literally thought I was going to explode and then I got to go take tours. Ha-ha, it was like lugging around a load of bricks in my stomach but it was so good! Since there were so many leftovers, I've had Thanksgiving dinner every day from Thursday to Sunday. It was pretty awesome! People love missionaries and they love Thanksgiving.

The Barnes are leaving this Friday as they complete their mission. We are so grateful for them and their service towards the ward members and us.

Thanksgiving is such a wonderful lead into the Christmas season. We start by being thankful for all the many blessings we receive and we then get to remember all that Christ did for us. I'm so excited to be on the mission during this Christmas season. I know that there will be miracles, because just like during the black out, hearts will be softened and we have so many tools that we can use to introduce people to the church - including the temple lights that we helped put up! It is so cool, yesterday we drove by the Temple since it’s in our area and half of the lights were on. It’s going to be so pretty, and now for the rest of my life I'm going to be attached to that one tree that I helped decorate, ha-ha.

We had some miracles this last week. We've been praying for referrals, asking for referrals, and doing all we can to find people to teach. The Lord certainly answers prayers. In the last couple of days we've received 7 referrals and now we have the opportunity and blessing to be able to contact them - people who have had contact with missionaries before and actually want what we are giving them. We also were able to find people who are interested, ask intelligent questions, and will read the Book of Mormon. It’s funny because I'm like 10 months into my mission and I feel like I'm finally becoming effective. It might have been a long time coming, but I'm so grateful that I've been able to see the progress and the tools that I was able to use so I can progress and help other people to come unto Christ.

Derek is one of those miracles. He lives at a formers house so we just contacted into him and he is just a really awesome guy. We were talking about repentance and guilt vs. godly sorrow and he looked at me and he said "that sounds right, that feels right" It was a really amazing experience. He'll read the Book of Mormon. He has a 13 year old son and he's a bit too old for the singles ward so we're going to teach him one more time and then pass him off to the 10th ward elders. Max is another one of those people who is just fun to teach. We're praying he'll come to church on Sunday.

Some things I've learned in my Gospel study and with the lesson we had with Hugh is just about how much Heavenly Father loves us and wants to bless us. In Mosiah it talks about how even if we served God with all our heart, might, mind, and strength we would still be unprofitable servants. But he wants to bless us anyway, not because we deserve it but because he loves us and so we should never feel unworthy for blessings. Heavenly Father will bless us with those things that he chooses. Always we should know that we are loved.

Krystin is also leaving the ward and going home to find a job. We'll miss her but she went to church last Sunday! Woohoo! Even though she claims she's bored ha-ha. As she gets involved in the ward in LA she'll be a lot happier. She has a testimony of the Gospel and she knows she has to follow God. She'll be awesome there.

That's pretty much it in my life. One of the coolest things I've discovered for my birthday this year is that I'll be a palindrome for the first time in 11 years! It will last for a whole year! It's so awesome. =) I just love palindromes.

Funny story:  We have district meeting every week, and the zone leaders are late, a lot. So we decided to try an experiment to make district meeting half an hour later at 11. So we were sitting, waiting for the zone leaders and at about 11:20 they walk in. Elder Peck the district leaders says "we'll we've just learned it doesn't matter what time district meeting is, it will still start twenty minutes late." Ha-ha, so we moved district meeting back to 10:30. Heh. Good times. We've also started playing a game called Book of Mormon baseball. So funny. I'll play it with you all when I get back. =) So get practicing!

Anyway! I hope you all have a fantastic week! You are all incredible and I love you so much! =) You are in my prayers!

Love,

Sister Tardiff

No comments:

Post a Comment